Chicago Tribune on June 6, 2012 released the following:
“Suspect charged with 1998 murder, sex assaults
By Ryan Haggerty, Chicago Tribune reporter
Fidel Urbina, a former Chicagoan who faces charges he sexually assaulted two women and killed one of them, purportedly has used false identities to elude a global manhunt for 14 years.
On Tuesday, the FBI added Urbina to its Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list, hoping the national attention it generates will produce new leads in a case that has been cold for years. The FBI is also offering up to $100,000 for information leading to his discovery and arrest.
“We have no idea since he’s been gone… how many other things he may be involved in,” Robert Grant, the special agent in charge of the FBI’s Chicago office, said during a news conference. “… If he’s in Mexico, if he’s in Texas, if he’s in Arizona, he’s a threat to any individual down there, and the sooner we can apprehend him, the better off everybody will be.”
Urbina takes the place on the most-wanted list of Adam Christopher Mayes, who was wanted in the murder of a woman and her daughter and the kidnapping of the woman’s two small children from their home in Tennessee, Grant said. Mayes killed himself last month when he was confronted by authorities.
Urbina was briefly in custody in 1998 after he was charged with kidnapping, beating and raping a Chicago woman, Grant said. But he was released after one of his girlfriends posted a bond of only $7,000, according to court records. He then allegedly assaulted and murdered another woman — Gabriella Torres, 22 — while awaiting trial.
Torres’ body was found in the trunk of a burned Chevrolet Lumina in the Gage Park neighborhood in October 1998. A week later, Urbina failed to appear for a court date on the first sexual assault charges.
Urbina was charged in Torres’ murder in 2006. Federal authorities relied on family informants to trace him to his hometown in Durango, Mexico, and a Mexican magistrate signed a provisional arrest warrant for him in 2006. But for reasons that are not clear, Urbina was never captured.
His last known address was in the 2100 block of South Fairfield Avenue in the Little Village neighborhood.
Even before he became a fugitive, Urbina, who never became a U.S. citizen, was adept at sliding between aliases. He used names such as Lorenzo Maes, Fidel Urbina Aquirre and Fernando Ramos, along with birth dates in 1975 and 1980, authorities said.
Urbina has been featured on local and national television shows, including “America’s Most Wanted,” Grant said. Viewers reported seeing him in various locations in the U.S. and Mexico, Grant said, but none of the leads panned out.
Now the FBI hopes that by adding his name to its most-wanted list — the 497th fugitive added since it was established in 1950 — people who know where he is will come forward, Grant said.
“We will keep hunting for him until he’s either confirmed dead or he’s in somebody’s hands,” he said.”
Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys Videos:
To find additional federal criminal news, please read Federal Criminal Defense Daily.
Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.
The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at email@example.com or at one of the offices listed above.