F.B.I. Arrests Second Suspect in Bomb Plot Against Bank

October 19, 2012

The New York Times on October 18, 2012 released the following:

“By MOSI SECRET

The Bangladeshi man who was arrested Wednesday on charges that he plotted to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank of New York had an accomplice in San Diego, who was arrested later on unrelated child-pornography charges, a law enforcement official said on Thursday.

The man described as the accomplice, Howard Willie Carter II, was arrested after an agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation found 1,000 images and three video files containing child pornography on a laptop and hard drive in the trash near Mr. Carter’s apartment, according to a government document. Officials used material stored on the computer to trace it back to Mr. Carter.

The computer also contained e-mails addressed to “Yaqeen,” a name that Brooklyn prosecutors said Mr. Carter had used in the plot to bomb the Federal Reserve building.

On Wednesday, federal prosecutors in Brooklyn charged the Bangladeshi man, Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, with conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction and with providing material support to Al Qaeda. They said he had tried to detonate what he believed was a 1,000-pound bomb hidden in a van parked near the Federal Reserve building, on Liberty Street, in the financial district.

Mr. Nafis had been under surveillance for months as part of an elaborate sting operation. An undercover officer gave him fake bomb material that could not have exploded. Mr. Nafis met several times with the undercover officer to plan the attack, and mentioned that he was collaborating with Yaqeen, who was identified in the complaint as a co-conspirator.

In July, the complaint against Mr. Nafis said, he told the undercover agent that Yaqeen had told him about a military base in Baltimore, with only one guard standing outside, that they could attack.

Mr. Carter had been placed under surveillance in San Diego as early as August, according to court documents in the pornography case. A federal agent there found the computer involved in that case on Aug. 16, but officials waited until after Mr. Nafis’s arrest to arrest Mr. Carter. Mr. Nafis arrived in the United States in January on a student visa. Prosecutors said he later tried to recruit people to form a terrorist cell and contacted a confidential informer who introduced him to the undercover agent.

On Wednesday morning, Mr. Nafis and the agent parked a van filled with what Mr. Nafis was led to believe was a bomb in front of the Federal Reserve building, according to the complaint against him. They went to a nearby hotel, where Mr. Nafis tried to detonate it by dialing a number on his cellphone, the complaint said. Then he was arrested.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys Videos:

Federal Crimes – Be Careful

Federal Crimes – Be Proactive

Federal Crimes – Federal Indictment

Federal Crimes – Detention Hearing

————————————————————–

To find additional federal criminal news, please read Federal Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Uzbek man pleads guilty in plot to kill Obama

February 10, 2012

The Associated Press (AP) on February 10, 2012 released the following:

“By JAY REEVES
Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A man from Uzbekistan (ooz-behk-ih-STAHN’) has pleaded guilty to terror-related charges in a plot to assassinate President Barack Obama.

Ulugbek Kodirov entered the plea Friday in federal court in Birmingham, Ala. Defense attorney Lance Bell says the 22-year-old man avoided a possible life sentence by pleading guilty. Instead, he now faces about 15 years in prison at sentencing.

Kodirov pleaded guilty to three counts: Threatening to kill the president, possessing an automatic weapon, and providing material support to terrorists.

Kodirov was indicted last July after prosecutors said he bought an automatic rifle from an undercover agent with plans to kill Obama.

Authorities say Kodirov was in the country illegally because he obtained a student visa but never enrolled in school.”

————————————————————–

To find additional federal criminal news, please read Federal Crimes Watch Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


California Woman Indicted on Charges of Allegedly Giving Money to Terrorists

December 22, 2011

CNN on December 22, 2011 released the following:

“By Chelsea J. Carter, CNN

(CNN) — A California woman was indicted late Wednesday on charges of sending money to Pakistan to help fund terrorist attacks against U.S. military personnel, federal officials said.

Oytun Ayse Mihalik, 39, of La Palma was charged with three counts of giving money to someone in Pakistan who knew the funds would be used to prepare and carry out attacks against American troops, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles said in a statement.

Mihalik, a native of Turkey, was accused of sending $2,050 in three wire transfers to a person in Pakistan over a period of three weeks in late 2010 and early 2011, the statement said.

Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the attorney’s office, would not comment on the identity of the person in Pakistan.

A telephone message left late Wednesday by CNN for Mihalik’s attorney, Alan Eisner, was not immediately returned.

Mihalik has been in U.S. custody since August 27, 2011, after she was detained at Los Angeles International Airport where she was preparing to board a flight to Turkey, the statement said. She had a one-way ticket, it said.

Federal authorities say they first questioned Mihalik on August 8 at the airport where she had just arrived from a six-month trip to Turkey. At that time, they allege she lied to agents, saying she had never used an alias to send money via Western Union to a person overseas, authorities said.

It was unclear how authorities linked Mihalik to the alleged payments, and they did not say how they identified her alleged use of an alias.

Mihalik was initially indicted on August 30 on one count of making a false statement.

A federal grand jury returned a superseding indictment Wednesday, charging Mihalik with three counts of providing material support to terrorists and one count of making a false statement.

The charge of providing material support to terrorists carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison; the charge of making a false statement in a matter involving international terrorism carries a maximum penalty of eight years.

An arraignment date has not yet been set. A trial on the initial count of making a false statement was previously scheduled for February 14.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys Videos:

Federal Crimes – Be Careful

Federal Crimes – Be Proactive

Federal Crimes – Federal Indictment

Federal Crimes – Detention Hearing

————————————————————–

To find additional federal criminal news, please read Federal Crimes Watch Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


US indictment accuses Canadian man of conspiring with suicide bombers in Iraq

December 11, 2011

The Washington Post on December 9, 2011 released the following:

“By Associated Press

NEW YORK — A man in custody in Canada was indicted on Friday on U.S. charges that he helped coordinate Tunisian jihadists believed responsible for separate suicide attacks in Iraq in 2009 that killed five American soldiers outside a U.S. base and seven people at an Iraqi police complex.

Faruq Khalil Muhammad ‘Isa, a 38-year-old Canadian citizen and Iraqi national, was arrested in January on a U.S. warrant after an investigation by authorities in New York, Canada and Tunisia. Muhammad ‘Isa is being held in Edmonton, Alberta, where he’s fighting extradition to federal court in Brooklyn to face charges of conspiring to kill Americans and providing material support to terrorists.

Muhammad ‘Isa never left Canada as part of the alleged conspiracy, and his attorney said Friday that the United States has no jurisdiction.

“All the evidence was gathered here,” said the Edmonton lawyer, Bob Aloneissi, said in a phone interview. “There’s just no tie. … This should be done for a legal reason and not a political reason.”

An extradition request made public Friday offered fresh details on wiretap evidence and an interview of Muhammad ‘Isa that U.S. authorities claim link him to the terror network. Authorities say the group used a suicide bomber to detonate an explosives-laden truck outside the gate of the U.S. base in Mosul, Iraq, on April 10, 2009, killing the five soldiers, and it also staged a suicide bombing on the Iraqi police station on March 31, 2009.

The evidence shows that “the goal of the attacks was to compel the United States government to remove its armed forces from Iraq,” the extradition request says.

A U.S. Department of Justice investigator interviewed Muhammad ‘Isa on Jan. 19 with an FBI agent and a Royal Canadian Mounted Police corporal present, the request says. The interview “was conducted in compliance with United States law,” with Muhammad ‘Isa signing a waiver before voluntarily answering questions, it says.

During the interview, Muhammad ‘Isa admitted he corresponded by email from Canada with two of the terrorists while they were in Syria, and knew that they were on a mission to kill Americans, the paperwork says. The documents allege he corresponded with “facilitators” who were trying to get the attackers into Iraq, and wired one of them $700.

On wiretaps, Muhammad ‘Isa was overheard last year discussing with someone in Iraq how he used code words when discussing the Iraq operation, the papers say.

“For example, when I want to name the brothers, I say the farmers — because they plant metal and harvest metal and flesh,” the papers quote him as saying. He also explained that he used the term “married” to mean “in the afterlife.”

U.S. authorities alleged that the day after the attack that killed the five soldiers, Muhammad ‘Isa asked in an electronic communication, “Did you hear about the huge incident yesterday? Is it known?” He also identified the bomber as “one of the Tunisian brothers,” to which a facilitator responded, “Praise God.”

Muhammad ‘Isa told investigators in the interview that by “huge incident” he meant an explosion, the papers say.

The papers add: “When asked if he believed that it was a religious duty for Muslims to travel to Iraq and fight Americans, (Muhammad ‘Isa) stated that he believed it was the duty for every Muslim who lived in Iraq to fight American ‘invaders.’”

The indictment comes at a time when Congress, over Obama administration objections, is pushing policies to ramp up the military’s role in the handling of captured terrorism suspects. A House-passed bill would require military tribunals to try suspected terrorists. A Senate-passed bill would mandate military custody for those captured, even in the United States, and linked to al-Qaida or its affiliates.

Members of the House and Senate are negotiating a final version of the bill that could include those provisions. They hope to complete their work by early next week.

If convicted in a civilian court, Muhammad ‘Isa faces life in prison.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys Videos:

Federal Crimes – Be Careful

Federal Crimes – Be Proactive

Federal Crimes – Federal Indictment

Federal Crimes – Detention Hearing

Federal Mail Fraud Crimes

Federal Crimes – Appeal

————————————————————–

To find additional federal criminal news, please read Federal Crimes Watch Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Agron Hasbajrami Indicted for Allegedly Providing Material Support to Terrorists

September 9, 2011

The Federal Bureau of Investigation on September 9, 2011 released the following:

“New York City Resident Indicted for Providing Material Support to Terrorists
Albanian National Arrested at JFK Airport en Route to Fight Jihad

An indictment was unsealed in federal court in Brooklyn this morning charging Agron Hasbajrami, a legal U.S. resident and Albanian citizen residing in New York City, with providing material support to terrorists.[1] Hasbajrami is scheduled to be arraigned later today before United States Magistrate Judge Lois Bloom, at the U.S. Courthouse, 225 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, New York. The case has been assigned to United States District Judge John Gleeson.

The charges were announced by Loretta E. Lynch, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York; Janice K. Fedarcyk, Assistant Director in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation, New York Field Office; and Raymond W. Kelly, Commissioner, New York City Police Department.

According to the indictment and a detention motion filed by the government, Hasbajrami devised a plan to travel to the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan (the “FATA”) for the purpose of joining a radical jihadist fighting group in Pakistan. In pursuing this goal, Hasbajrami exchanged e-mail messages with a contact in Pakistan who advised Hasbajrami that the contact’s fighting group was engaged in violent military operations and had killed American troops. Hasbajrami told his contact that he wished to travel abroad to “marry with the girls in paradise,” using jihadist rhetoric to describe his desire to die as a martyr.

According to the government’s court filings, Hasbajrami sent over $1,000 to Pakistan to support his contact’s terrorist efforts. When asked to collect money from fellow Muslims for the terrorist cause, Hasbajrami reported that fundraising was difficult in New York because his fellow Muslims became apprehensive “when they hear it is for jihad.”

In August 2011, Hasbajrami purchased an airline ticket to travel to Turkey en route to Pakistan, but cancelled it. Hasbajrami then purchased another airline ticket to travel to Turkey on September 6, 2011. He was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens, New York, when he arrived to board his flight to Turkey carrying a tent, boots and cold-weather gear. A search of Hasbajrami’s residence revealed, among other items, a note reading “Do not wait for invasion, the time is martyrdom time.”

“The vigilance of law enforcement has resulted in the capture of another alleged aspiring terrorist bent on traveling overseas for violent jihad,” stated United States Attorney Lynch. “We will spare no effort in stopping terrorists before they strike.” Ms. Lynch expressed her grateful appreciation to the FBI and NYPD for their extraordinary work in leading the government’s investigation.

If convicted of providing material support to terrorists, Hasbajrami faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

The government’s case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Matthew S. Amatruda and Seth D. DuCharme with assistance provided by Trial Attorney Courtney Sullivan of the DOJ Counterterrorism Section.

The Defendant:
AGRON HASBAJRAMI
Age: 27

[1]The charges in the indictment are merely allegations, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.”

To find additional federal criminal news, please read Federal Crimes Watch Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share